Suite of Hearts

This was written in January 2021 for a 24-hour microfiction contest - the story needed to be 250 words or less and the genre, action, and keyword were randomly assigned: "Romantic comedy, making a bed, shine"

It was my first day on the job and I was apprehensive. I hated cleaning and my apartment was always far from pristine, but after being unemployed for months, I was desperate. There were about fifteen of us, waiting awkwardly in one of the hotel's conference rooms.

The trainer walked in late and muttered something about an emergency. That's when I finally looked up from the carpet and took in the others. And there he was - the man I'd been pining over at Barnes and Noble for the past six months.

"You will be assigned to work in pairs today. One of our expert client service managers will supervise your work. Remember that if you wish to be hired permanently, you will need to make your room shine."

An assistant handed out envelopes with room assignments and we were ushered to the service elevators. Room 623. Mr. Perfect arrived at the door a few moments after me. "Hello," he said with a grin and I felt myself melt. Inside the room, a bubbly Barbie-type was waiting. "Welcome! Are you ready to work harder than you ever have?" she asked. I shrugged, but he chuckled.

Our hands first touched when we were making the bed. I was struggling to tuck the top sheet just right and he said, "Here, let me help." My cleaning skills didn't measure up to keep the job, but every year since then we have returned to the Ritz for our anniversary. We always book Room 623.

Comments

Popular Posts